Livingston Parish Info

 Homepage | Airports | Business Directory | Clerk Of Court | College & Universities | Courts
 Fairs Festivals | Fire Stations | History | Hospitals | Humane Society | Library
 Parks & Recreation | Real Estate | Schools | Sheriff Dept | Shopping

 

History of Livingston Parish, Louisiana

Livingston Parish was originally part of the Florida Parishes. The parish was created on February 10, 1832, when the state Legislature split St. Helena Parish in two.  Historians differ as to which one the parish was named in honor of, either Robert or Edward Livingston, however they cannot unanimously agree on either one. Clark Forrest, Jr., in his article entitled "Various Locations of the Livingston Parish Courthouse,"submits that the parish is named in honor of Edward Livingston.  In 1832 the Livingston Parish Courthouse origianaly was thought to be in  Van Buren, on the east bank of the Tickfaw River. Then in 1835 the Courthouse was moved to Springfield where it stayed until 1869.  In 1869, the parish lost territory when Tangipahoa Parish was created. As a result of this the Courthouse was then relocated to Port Vincent in 1871. In 1881 the Courthouse was moved again to Centerville where it stayed until 1941. In 1941 the town of Livingston was approved as the fifth and final courthouse site.
  It later gained additional land when Maurepas Island was made part of the parish. Livingston Parish consists of 642 square miles on 410,880 acres and is 32 miles long by 30 miles wide. The geographical landscape of the parish varies from rolling terrain covered by slash pine and hardwood forests in the northern part to rich cypress forests and marshes that border on Lake Maurepas and the Amite River in the southern end. Livingston Parish has eight municipalities, with Denham Springs being the largest. Other municipalities are Albany, French Settlement, Killian, Livingston (the parish seat), Port Vincent, Springfield and Walker.

Denham Springs, Louisiana History


Old Livingston Parish Courthouse in Springfield, Louisiana